Friday, June 02, 2006

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

All the various flavors of Ubuntu were released yesterday, 1st June. I've been using Ubuntu 5.10 on my work laptop for more than a month now. I'm quite happy with it except for the fact that wireless support doesn't seem very good.

Last night, despite droopy eyelids, I stayed up to update my ubuntu to the latest version. It is all quite automatic, thankfully. So far, I have not seen any major differences. My Evolution mail still can only connect without a proxy. Wireless only seems to support WEP. And to top it all off, since upgrading, the LAN interface eth0 does not seem to work on startup. I have to do deactivate it and re-activate it to get it working.

Good things I've seen so far: some better looking graphics/interface here and there. There's a better shutdown (hibernate!) menu and screen. Lastly, some re-arrangement of the system menu interface and application installation interface (the Add/Remove function).

I'm still happy with it. Have been living without Windows far longer than I'd originally expected to. For those of you interested in trying, you can download it for free from http://www.ubuntu.com or have them ship the CDs to you for free.

No comments: